Your taxes

I am a senior citizen earning a monthly pension of ₹34,000. In FY 2017-18, I sold some shares and earned an amount of ₹1,000.

Is it possible for me to file ITR-1 where this amount is taken into account?

V Vijayagopalan Nair

ITR-1 can be filed only by individuals having income from salaries, one house property (excluding cases where there is brought-forward/carry-forward losses) and other sources (excluding winning from lottery and income from race horses).

Since you have earned capital gain income from sale of shares, ITR-1 cannot be filed. Instead, you would need to file your tax returns in form ITR-2.

I am a senior citizen. For AY2018-19, my net taxable income is ₹1,25,000, out of which ₹35,000 is due to long-term capital gain on redemption of debt-oriented mutual fund units for which no security transaction tax (STT) was paid.

While filing the tax return online, my tax liability is being shown as 10 per cent of ₹35,000, i.e. ₹3,500. Next, a rebate of ₹2,500 is allowed u/s 87A. Thus, the net tax liability is ₹1,000 + education cess.

Since my net taxable income is below the threshold limit, am I liable to pay any income tax?

Saktinath Mukherjee

As per the provisions of the Income Tax Act, 1961, a relief is available to resident senior citizens if the taxable income excluding long-term capital gains is less than the basic exemption limit of ₹3,00,000. The relief shall be the excess of the basic income exemption limit over total income excluding long-term capital gains.

In your case, you have a total income of ₹1,25,000 comprising long-term capital gains of ₹35,000 and other income of ₹90,000. You are a senior citizen (over 60 years of age and less than 80 years).

Accordingly, the value of relief will be ₹2,10,000 (₹3,00,000-(₹1,25,000-₹35,000)). As the value of relief is in excess of long-term capital gains, there should not be any tax liability.

The writer is Partner, Deloitte India. Send your queries to tax

Read the rest of this article by Signing up for Portfolio.It's completely free!

What You'll Get



This article is closed for comments.
Please Email the Editor